April 24th, 2007 · 9 Comments

Taken with Olympus E-500 digital camera April 22nd 2007. Click image for larger view.

This is a great black backed gull (Larus marinus).
It is the biggest kind of seagull with it’s length of 61-74cm and wingspan of 1.4 to 1.7m. A grown gull weighs 1.5-2kg.

I find this bird very fascinating with it’s very coarse cries and rough behaviour. I have seen them snap the neck of smaller seagulls, eating eider ducklings alive and swallowing pretty large cod fish in one gulp.

Check out my other bird photos.

Camera: Olympus E-500 digital single-lens reflex camera
Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Location: Out on the sea by Laupstad, Andørja (Ibestad, Troms) in northern Norway

Tags: Birds · Coast · Norway Norwegen Norge · Sea Ocean · Seagull

• 1 Iskandar // Apr 24, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Hi Thomas,

Great pictures, keep up the good work..:)

Iskandar

• 2 Josef // Apr 24, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Nice clean shot of that gull.. I especially like the reflection.

• 3 Stevo // Apr 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

Great shots. I look forward to more. What kind of gear are you using?

• 4 lyndonmaxewell // Apr 25, 2007 at 11:21 am

wow, nice shot of the gull. Pretty clear and neat.

• 5 Memory from the summer in Northern Norway - Picture of flying seagull and mountain landscape // Dec 17, 2007 at 7:20 pm

[…] in Northern Norway can be. The seagull flying over me is a great black-backed seagull. You can see a close up photo of this type of seagull here. I really liked the fluffy clouds and the morning fog that is about to disappear from the […]

• 6 Viviana Walters // Dec 18, 2007 at 5:14 am

What a beautiful picture and very interesting information about the black backed gull. Thank you for sharing.

I hope you have a great holiday.

• 7 Picture of wave and seagulls sailing on strong wind in Northern Norway // Feb 15, 2008 at 1:37 am

[…] you want to have a closer look of our seagulls have a look at this picture. Information about the picture: Camera: Olympus E-500 digital SLR camera Exposure: 0.002 sec […]

• 8 Valerie // Sep 24, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Beautiful, beautiful photo……was cruising the internet for Black-Backed Gulls because I see so few of them on the river where I live (Narrow River – Narragansett, Rhode Island – USA). Today, though, I was able to get close enough to one to cut away some fishing line wrapped around his beak and leg. He is so scruffy looking and still limps but will hopefully mend and look as good as this photo some day. P.S. He’s got a very strong beak grip, ouch!

• 9 carmel44 // Oct 2, 2008 at 1:00 am

thankyou for sharing.
    I have never seen a black back seagull before. Ours are mostly white, with a very little grey.
    Your seagulls are very beautifull..