Photo from a warm day on the coast in northern Norway

June 24th, 2007 · 21 Comments

Photo from a warm day on the coast in northern Norway
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on June 22nd 2007. Click image for larger view.

What beautiful and warm day here at the coast in northern Norway. I really like it when it’s 20C and slightly overcast. Anything warmer get to hot for my arctic body 🙂

Here I’m crawling between pebbles trying to make a good composition at ground level while not getting too wet from water seeping in from the ocean. When I take pictures I always think “How can I make this scene/subject more interesting” thus I often find myself in back-breaking positions.

What are your opinions on this photo?

Camera: Olympus E-500 digital single-lens reflex camera
Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Location: Laupstad, Andørja (Ibestad) in northern Norway

Tags: Clouds · Coast · Evening · Landscape · Mountain · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Scenery · Sea Ocean · Summer · Sunset

• 1 Shinade // Jun 24, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I am so glad you peeked in today on me as I am trying to rebuild my blog roll and you are a definite. Now you would think that growing up in Texas that I could not relate to your tempature level of comfort. However, after 9 yrs. in the state of Maine…..40%Farenheit on a sunny day was glorious. it took me about 3 yrs. to get used to the hot temps. in the SW US when we moved back. Great photo!

• 2 Island Girl // Jun 25, 2007 at 12:05 am

Wonderful! I love the sky, the colours – everything! I like the way you have the large pebble in the foreground with its shadow showing as well. And the pinky/orangy colour in the sky underneath the cloud.

• 3 Peter // Jun 25, 2007 at 2:09 am

Another great composition

• 4 Xiomara // Jun 25, 2007 at 9:05 am

Wonderful place!! I supose is cold right? but great view!!! Chiao

• 5 Ruth Tarragano // Jun 25, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Great photos!
    I put you as a Flickr friend too…

great day-

Ruth

• 6 BobG // Jun 25, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I like the textures of the shore, and that of the clouds against the sky.

• 7 BobC // Jun 25, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Lovely seascape and that sky is really neat.

• 8 John // Jun 25, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Why f/11 ??? Why not f/22?????

Either way great shot!!!!!

• 9 Thomas Laupstad // Jun 26, 2007 at 12:35 am

Shinade: Thanks a lot for blog rolling me! Sound like Maine suits me much more than Texas 🙂

Island Girl: Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Peter: Thanks so much for stopping by!

Xiomara: Hehe, it was actually pretty warm that day. At least by my standards 😉

Ruth: Thanks. I added you too.

BobC and BobG: Lol at the names! Thanks for comments!

John: Thanks 🙂
    I chose f11 because everything over that has some difraction since I use a camera with a 4/3 sensor. I think you need a fullframe sensor camera to get no difraction at f22.
    Not sure how much it matters with landscape shots?

• 10 Lavender // Jun 26, 2007 at 9:17 am

I love this shot – especially how youve captured the sky reflected in the water and the way the sky and water offset the pebbles & rocks – well captured!
    Cheers, Lavender of the birds & the beads

• 11 Karim2k // Jun 26, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Nice shot, well framed and the tones are quiet good unless the contrast. keep going !

• 12 Catherine // Jun 27, 2007 at 12:31 am

Amazing photography, just makes me want to jump on a plane and just get there. To enjoy it in person of course!

• 13 Adria // Jun 27, 2007 at 1:02 am

I love how you captured layer upon layer of the textured sky, the horizon, the light dancing off the water surface, the darkness of the rocks.

• 14 cindy // Jun 27, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Wow, beautiful shot! 😀

• 15 cyclingplatypus // Jun 28, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Beautiful!

• 16 Dermot // Jun 29, 2007 at 9:23 am

Crawling around trying to get the best shot, that sounds very familiar….
    It’s worse when you do it in public and people start giving you weird looks!

• 17 Buffster // Jul 1, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Hi – i love your work – very atmospheric and the skies are beautiful – much more dramamtic than South Africa where I come from- I would love it if you visited my site – I am a painter and I have just done a new portrait called “lady in Red” – please tell me what you think I would love to join your site if I may.Thank you

• 18 Kham // Jul 4, 2007 at 8:26 am

Totally spectacular. You take such amazing photographs.

• 19 david // Jul 4, 2007 at 3:35 pm

you have a very interesting site – i once visited Haugesund and Stavanger but that was a long time ago – nice to see such good photos from such a different looking landscape!

• 20 Morgan // Jul 5, 2007 at 12:47 am

Beautiful doesn’t really seem to convey the emotions that are evoked.
    Nature often takes our breath away as well as the ability to express it with only words.

• 21 Elizabeth // Mar 18, 2010 at 3:47 am

Oh, what wouldn’t I give to live at 20°c? The temperatures here go higher than 38°c 🙁 Nonetheless, you actually made me feel the “warmth” of the atmosphere; it is indeed an astonishing shot.