Photos of cloudberry plants – different stages of flowering and berries

August 6th, 2007 · 26 Comments

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on July 27th, 2007. Click picture for larger view.

I have taken some pictures of the cloudberry plant in different stages of flowering and the final product as a tasteful berry (as you can see in the photo above).

The cloudberry plant (Rubus chamaemorus), or bakeapple as it is called some places, is slow growing sub-arctic specie that is a very important berry here in northern Norway. Cloudberries are mainly used as jam, with whipped cream, in cakes and some even make alcoholic drinks out of the berries.
When the berries are ripe there is a lot of competition among people to get a good harvest. There have even been reports of fighting ;) Thus the price on cloudberries can be as high as 18-20$/kg.

The following pictures are of the cloudberry plant in different stages of flowering.

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on June 14th, 2007. Click picture for larger view.

Notice the moth sitting on a leaf in this last picture.

Have anyone tasted cloudberries? It is not my favorite berry, but it is very nice with whipped cream and tons of sugar.

Follow Photos from Northern Norway on Facebook.

Information about the pictures:

Like these pictures? Please make a donation to support the site.

Tags: Berry · Cloudberry · Flora · Flower · Insect · Macro · Moths · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Plant · Spring · Summer

• 1 Pam Hoffman // Aug 6, 2007 at 11:00 pm

Beautiful photos!

I’ve been to Norway though never seen (or tasted) or even HEARD of this before! Are they tart or sour? Very interesting.

Thanks for informing us!

Pam Hoffman

• 2 steve // Aug 7, 2007 at 4:19 am

great shots! they look like they’d taste quite tart. Are they like raspberries?

• 3 shaun // Aug 7, 2007 at 7:08 am

I really like that first pic its kind of a weird plant.

• 4 luciano // Aug 7, 2007 at 9:32 am

Ciao! I like a lot the photos you make..bravo!

• 5 morinn // Aug 7, 2007 at 2:04 pm

one of the pictures of the flower looks like that of strawberry!

but the fruit is real unknown to me!

• 6 Aradil // Aug 8, 2007 at 12:09 am

Beautiful photos, especially the first one! Cloudberries are one of my favourite berries – hot cloudberry jam with vanilla ice cream for dessert or in soured milk for breakfast. Yummy!

• 7 Kymerean // Aug 8, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Beautiful pictures, I will have to look into the E-500, any advice on it versus another.

• 8 Thomas Laupstad // Aug 9, 2007 at 2:27 am

Pam: They are somewhat sweet. Cloudberries got a very unique flavor.

Steve: Dunno how I should describe the taste, but it is not like raspberries ;)

Aradil: Will have to try that!

Kymerean: The E-500 is a very good camera and you get it pretty cheap right now as the newer E-510 just hit the marked.
    But most DSLR cameras are good so it is hard to choose

• 9 Cathrine // Aug 10, 2007 at 2:47 pm

deilige cloudberries ;-)

hilsen cathrine, Moss

• 10 Josh Lane // Aug 15, 2007 at 7:07 am

Cloudberry good shot!

• 11 fran // Aug 15, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Was in Norway the first2 weeks of August on the Hardangervidda. Got back Sunday.
    Lots of cloudberry flowers on mossy clumps in swampy upland areas, and a few berries ripening already. We were told by a Norwegian that there probably wouldn’t be that many this year because of the bad weather earlier on. A very few were already ripe. Yes, they need a bit of sugar. The jam must be excellent with cream – haven’t tried it yet; we bought a big tub of it, plus a Norwegian waffle mixture, so we’ll have a good tea time with it at some point. Lots of what are called in English, ‘Cowberries’ which look like and are called in German, ‘Preiselbeere’ (Cranberries) – maybe it’s a local English name for the Scottish variety which grows on some Scottish moors as well.
    There were also masses of small black berries growing on low, rather spiky leaved bushes. They weren’t juniper, but if anyone here has a clue what they might have been I’d be grateful to know.

• 12 fran // Aug 15, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Ps I don’t mean Blueberries (Bilberries) of which there were plenty, or even the blue, slightly elongated berries with the pale green waxy leaves. Annoying when one doesn’t have a book on the local flora. Any ideas?

• 13 Thomas Laupstad // Aug 15, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Hi fran

Yeah they have had pretty terrible weather in the south of Norway with lots of rain, but here in the north it has been mostly sunny so the cloudberry harvest seem to be good this year.

I believe the black berries you saw are called crowberries. I actually have a shot of them. Check it out here: http://blog.thomaslaupstad.com/2007/04/30/macro-photo-of-crowberry-and-some-evergreen-shrubs/

• 14 Frances // Aug 16, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Thanks, Thomas – much appreciated. I’m sure that’s what they were. I tried the juice of one, feeling pretty sure they weren’t poisonous – but it didn’t taste of much. I thought they might be good as wine, too. Fascinating. Any idea what the other berries might have been? The longer blueish ones?
    The plant life up there is so rich. Saw some flowers that I knew as well as lots that I didn’t. The small white, seven-petalled, star-like flowers which grow in grass and in spagnum mossy and wet areas were beautiful. Do you know what they’re called?
    I was thrilled to find real angelica growing wild in Norway. I’ve never found it in the wild before…
    Great pictures. The sunset on Aug 9th could win you a few prizes, I’m sure…

• 15 Thomas Laupstad // Aug 16, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Frances:

Maybe it was Norther Bilberry? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_uliginosum
    Never heard of that berry being harvested.

Yeah, angelica is growing everywhere here :)

• 16 Karin // Aug 17, 2007 at 6:29 pm

No cloudberries this year. I live in Jämtland, Sweden. So far I have found only 1 (!) dl. I´m not going to look for them anymore. I hope next year will be a better cloudberry year..

Beautiful photos, Thomas!

• 17 yolanda // Aug 25, 2007 at 10:14 pm

I love your photos and will return ofen.So glad to have found your blog.

• 18 Photos of cowberry / lingonberry plants - as flowers and berries // Sep 4, 2007 at 5:44 pm

[...] preservative because of their high content of benzoic acid. It was mixed with other berries, like cloudberry, to make the berries edible throughout the winter. Cowberry was (and is) an important source for [...]

• 19 christy // Nov 2, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Cloudberries are the most amazing fruit on this planet. My grandma in norway would crush them and put them in the middle of here cakes or she would make a fresh cream to top them off with,HEAVENLY! My cousins and I would go into the forest fend off trolls that gaurded the cloudberry boggs. We were 8, what can I say, It was the greatest fun ever. We also would paint our faces with squished bluberries and chase each other around. My 2 times of living in Norway are the best memories ever! Thanks Grandma Ingrid!

• 20 vickisaunders // Nov 3, 2008 at 7:00 pm

These look like they would taste really good where can I get them from a supermarket, grocery store?

• 21 rjinga // Nov 25, 2008 at 5:10 pm

You can get cloudberry preserves at IKEA stores and it is the same as what I grew up with in Newfoundland (where we call this fruit a bakeapple) it is a delicacy and like some of the other posts mention it can be quite expensive. IKEA sells decent sized jars for around $5 US if I’m not mistaken. Well worth it, no question!!!!

• 22 Leo Aerts // Apr 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm

We grow these berries in Flanders/belgium !
    Leo Flandriae

• 23 Cloudberries | ivanshaw.com // Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07 am

[...] with others who are not part of the direct bloodline, and Thomas Laupstad (the fellow who took the cloudberry photo) mentions that there have been fistfights over [...]

• 24 Picture of flowering plant // Nov 27, 2010 at 4:17 am

[...] Photos of cloudberry plants – different stages of flowering and 6 Aug 2007. Click picture for larger view. I have taken some pictures of the cloudberry plant in different stages of flowering and the final product as. – Photos of cloudberry plants – different stages of flowering and [...]

• 25 Tarts, Muffins & Crumble, My Kitchen « rainbowsandcupcakes // May 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

[...] I know. I was just as surprised as you may be. We made lemon meringue tarts, chocolate muffins and bakeapple crumble (this blog is from Norway where bakeapples grow in addition to here in [...]

• 26 dawn // Nov 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Fran, they could have been what we call Oregon Grape. Maybe google a picture of Oregon Grapes to see. Nobody eats them…not even Oregonians ;). They’re wild in Oregon. Some people put them in their yards for decoration.