Macro photo of Sundew (Drosera anglica) – A carnivore plant

September 24th, 2007 · 8 Comments

Macro photo of Sundew (Drosera anglica) - A carnivore plant
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera July 4th 2007. Click image for larger view.

In this macro photo you see the carnivorous plant sundew. This specific specie is known as Great sundew or English sundew (Drosera anglica).
The sundew plants catch and eat insects to supplement their diet. The sticky drops on the leaves attract insects and when they land the sundew plants close their leaves so the insects can’t escape.

Location: Ånstadbotn (Andørja), Troms in northern Norway

Tags: Flora · Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Plant · Sundew

• 1 bernie kasper // Sep 25, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Beautiful and yet very deadly, what a combination, nice job in capturing this cool subject.

• 2 mar // Sep 25, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Amazing shot… I am a WW participant, nice to meet you !

• 3 Andrea // Sep 25, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Now that is interesting!! I’ve never even heard of this plant before.

• 4 James - Visualized.Feel.Abundance // Sep 26, 2007 at 4:38 am

Artistically Done. I see that you focus on the leaves itself and blurred the rest. Keeps my attention on the deadly beauty 😛

• 5 Susan Suarez // Sep 26, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Again, beautiful. Shaun Low says you are the best photographer in the world, I second that! 🙂

• 6 jon // Sep 26, 2007 at 10:44 pm

A wonderful, amazing photo of a creepy creation! 😀

• 7 Margy // Dec 20, 2007 at 8:29 am

Great picture. I have sundews growing on the logs surrounding my float cabin on Powell Lake, BC. It is amazing that they can catch insects as large as damsel flies. Here is a post I did about mine http://powellriverbooks.blogspot.com/2007/09/sundews.html

• 8 Salim M A // Dec 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I am from Iraq, we suffer from flies and mosquitos. Is is possible to plant carnivorous plant sundew in our land which is very hot in Summer and cold in winter with little moisture? If so, how can I get such plant? Thank you. I am looking forward to answering me ASAP.