Close up photos of an Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) – My favorite fish

December 21st, 2007 · 20 Comments

Close up photos of an Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus)
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera June 10th 2007. Click image for larger view.

In this picture you can see a close up shot of an Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) that I fished earlier this year. This fish is so tasteful that my mouth waters just by writing this and despite it looks, its my favorite fish to eat ;)
The Atlantic halibut is one of the biggest flastfishes on our planet. It can become over 3 meters long and weigh well over 300 kg. The one I caught wasn’t not even close to those sizes and weighed about 4-5 kg. It still gave me quite a fight when I tried to reel it in with my fishing rod.
If you should ever have to luck of getting a big Atlantic halibut you have to be careful when you get it into your boat. I have heard a story about a man that was found dead with the halibuts tail deep inside his breast. They are very powerful!

Check this picture for a view from my fishing boat and this one of my uncle steering the boat to rich fishing grounds. Also follow Photos from Northern Norway on Facebook.

Flash used

Tags: Fish · Fishing · Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge

• 1 Sharon // Dec 21, 2007 at 6:22 am

Looks like the fish is sticking out his tongue at you….

• 2 vaggelis vlahos // Dec 21, 2007 at 10:19 am

very interesting capture. Thank you for the info

• 3 Mike Maddaloni - The Hot Iron // Dec 21, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Just in time for your Italian and Italian-American readers for Christmas and the dinner with the 7 fishes!

mp/m

• 4 Jenn // Dec 21, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Did you take that picture for the Halibut?
    (With an American accent “Halibut” almost sounds like “Hell-of-it”. I just couldn’t resist the joke. )

• 5 Carlos Lorenzo // Dec 21, 2007 at 11:47 pm

Wonderful specimen Jungl. Nice shot.

• 6 steve // Dec 22, 2007 at 1:31 am

don’t mess with the hippoglossus hippoglossus!

• 7 Marisa // Dec 22, 2007 at 10:55 am

LOLhippoglossus

It is so.. uhm.. asymmetrical?

• 8 Lynda Lehmann // Dec 23, 2007 at 5:33 am

Great photo, though it does nothing for my appetite, LOL….

I actually love to eat halibut but I’ve never seen one in quite this pose!

• 9 Kystbloggen // Dec 23, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Great photo, and congratulation with the catch. You are right, they taste fantastic. The small ones almost taste like chicken!

• 10 benhurjun // Dec 24, 2007 at 5:01 am

I haven’t tasted it yet but I heard the Halibut is one of the most tasty fish in the ocean. I like golden trout and the Atlantic salmon and I hope to dig my fork in one of those halibuts one day.

Happy Holidays and may you have a halibut dish in your plate this Christmas eve! Cheers!

• 11 Shantanu // Dec 24, 2007 at 9:29 am

That is one interesting photo! As a sea-food lover, my mouth waters too. :-)

• 12 kbguy // Dec 24, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I am adding you in my blogroll. Hope u don’t mind.. pls visit my blog too and comment on my UNprofesional photography at

• 13 Ogie // Dec 27, 2007 at 2:55 am

I just found your site. I love all the images you have posted.

GREAT JOB!!

• 14 Patricia // Jan 2, 2008 at 3:08 am

I’ve never seen a Halibut from quite that angle either, but it doesn’t change how good they taste! Getting to eat fresh Halibut is probably the thing I miss most about Alaska. Take care and keep those amazing photos coming.

• 15 Sharon // Jan 5, 2008 at 3:23 am

You all are making me very hungry with all thist talk of food :)

• 16 Phil // Jan 6, 2008 at 4:39 am

I enjoyed your post on your favorite fish. I like so many, it’s hard for me to narrow down my favorites. Two of my favorites are Lake Perch and Codfish. I enjoy fish broiled with butter. Pan fried with butter and sometimes a little coating of flour is delicious too.

• 17 seraphangel // Feb 16, 2008 at 6:02 am

that’s an interesting fish, both it’s eyes are on one side of it’s ‘face’, looks kinda scary too, like it will bite anytime

• 18 Picture of half eaten Rattail (Roundnose grenadier, Coryphaenoides rupestris) deep sea fish // Mar 3, 2008 at 11:33 am

[...] out this picture of my favorite fish the Atlantic halibut. Information about the picture: Olympus E-500 digital SLR camera Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80) [...]

• 19 Pictures of a 24 kg (53 lb) big cod fished in Northern Norway // Jun 18, 2008 at 1:22 am

[...] is dragged with a lot of excitement as you never know what you might catch. I also caught a nice Atlantic halibut and some smaller cods along with the 24 kg cod. Here is a picture of me, the proud fisherman with [...]

• 20 Picture of Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) fish caught in Northern Norway // Oct 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

[...] fish come into the fjords. We use the herring both as food and as bait to catch other fish like the Atlantic halibut. If the herring is used for food it is usually fried whole or salted for later use. Personally I [...]