Picture of waves on a rocky coast in Northern Norway

February 19th, 2008 · 18 Comments

Picture of waves on a rocky coast in Northern Norway
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera February 14th 2008. Click image for larger view.
It’s time for a simple photo from the rocky coast here in Northern Norway. I love to observe and listen to the massive waves that come crashing in when we have stormy weather. If you look at the picture large you can see some seaweed inside of the waves. The seaweed must have some incredible strength to be able to cling fast during such extreme conditions.
When the weather is like this you can taste the saltwater in your throat for a long time afterwards and it is supposed to be very good for sinus problems. I hope my camera and lenses wont take any damage from the salt :)

Check out this blog post with pictures and recorded sound of waves from last winter.

Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Location: Laupstad (Andørja), Troms in Northern Norway

Tags: Clouds · Coast · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Rocks · Scenery · Sea Ocean · Seaweed · Shore · Sky · Waves · Winter

• 1 Tom @ Ohio Nature // Feb 19, 2008 at 1:18 am

Thomas,

I know that when I travel to the beach for vacation, I am able to breathe deeply and it is an amazing feeling. The ocean clears my sinuses right up!

Tom

• 2 anneberly // Feb 19, 2008 at 2:27 am

very nice… Very cool in the eyes…

• 3 Jack Payne // Feb 19, 2008 at 6:58 am

Awesome pics. Could give National Geographic a run for the money.

• 4 Treehousedweller // Feb 19, 2008 at 10:14 am

I have been inspired by your photos of wild seas. I attempted to find that fury from our east coast harbour during this summer. I achieved a completely different look. I hope that one day I will get to see the turbulent waters of the North – it looks adventurous!

• 5 val // Feb 19, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I dont think that seaweed has a choice but to hold on and go along for the ride ;)

I find the sound of crashing waves keep me awake at night, and not to mention being near the ocean frightens me a bit, Ive watched too many tsunami movies *lol* but theres nothing like the sea breeze to give you a good nights sleep :)

• 6 TripTheLady // Feb 19, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Very nice photo. I love the beach and hearing the waves crash upon the shore. Thanks for taking me there this morning ;)

• 7 Jamie // Feb 19, 2008 at 7:27 pm

What I wouldn’t give to live near the waves and fall asleep to the sound each night. Ahhh…

• 8 Nicole // Feb 20, 2008 at 6:32 am

I can almost smell the rough, fresh air!

• 9 Paddy Wallbouncer // Feb 20, 2008 at 6:32 am

Norway is a great place! I rode my motorcycle there a while back. Oslo was fun, but I had to cut back on the Vodka, whew, $15 for a drink! Nice pictures, thenks for the memories.

• 10 Guy Vandervoort // Feb 20, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Really nice pix

Maybe you should be interrested to take a look at mine at:

• 11 WillThink4Wine // Feb 20, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Here’s one reason I’m glad I tried EntreCard. I found this blog. Your photographs are extraordinary!

Someday, when I get rich in ec’s I may actually be able to afford to advertize on your site ;-)

• 12 Sylvia G // Feb 20, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Thomas, stunning images!

I found your site a few days ago and love checking in everyday to see what beautiful photo’s you are sharing with us.

Please don’t ever put your camera away.

• 13 Cher // Feb 20, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking – I can’t believe you can capture such detail on a camera. My beach house in New Jersey is my favorite place in the world – and it’s so much better during the colder months when no tourists are there! Ah, if only I could be there now :)

• 14 bittersweetcollide // Feb 22, 2008 at 12:58 pm

This picture is so lovely it speaks for my heart and just how I exactly feel and where I want to be right now.

• 15 narissa // Feb 23, 2008 at 12:25 am

i was told that, too, – that sinuses, cold and cough can be relieved by the sea breeze.

it always gives me a wonderful feeling to look at the ocean. it gives me peace. but when i am in a boat or any water vehicle, i dont feel peace. makes me feel panicky.

• 16 Kim // Feb 23, 2008 at 2:41 am

This reminds me of where I grew up on the Northern California Coast (USA).

• 17 Mark Stoneman // Feb 24, 2008 at 2:38 am

The one winter no one in my family had sinus problems, was the winter we lived within 200 meters of the beach in New Hampshire. Loved the smell of the air.

• 18 Rae W. // Feb 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Hi there – loved the photo of the waves – am a painter and would really enjoy painting this. Are you able to give me your email and your permission to do so.