Macro picture of yellow snail shells – Land snails eaten by mice

April 8th, 2008 · 11 Comments

Macro picture of yellow snail shells
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera April 2nd 2008. Click image for larger view.
In this picture you can see four yellow snail shells from some kind of land snail species. During the winter the markings on the shells has almost vanished so it is hard to say what species they are, but I’m guessing these are shells of white-lipped snails (Cepaea hortensis) as they are native pretty far north.
You may notice that a couple of the shells are broken. The broken shells combined with a lot of mice droppings around them make me suspect that mice have had a gastronomical meal.
Feel free to leave comment if you know what kind of snail species this is.

Check out this macro photo of a sea snail with seaweed as background.

Location: Sørvik (Andørja), Troms in Northern Norway

Tags: Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Shells · Snail

• 1 Bobbie // Apr 8, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Very nice photo, Thomas, and interesting explanation, too. Who knew that mice liked ‘escargots’. Maybe you should put out some garlic and butter for them, too. 😀

• 2 Ten Things // Apr 8, 2008 at 9:49 pm

I love that macro shot of the snail, did you get that right on the first try or did you try several aperture settings to get the proper depth? I’ve just started working with my camera, again, and I posted some pictures from my last few trips out to the parks, but I don’t have a proper macro lens to get great pictures like your snail.

• 3 Amira Sakr // Apr 10, 2008 at 2:48 pm

lovely shot and color!!! i like it!

• 4 Tamera // Apr 10, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Have you been invaded by French mice, and their love of snails? Great photo. Love the coloring.

• 5 Book Calendar // Apr 11, 2008 at 3:31 am

I rather like the snail shells. They have a nice spiral pattern to them. It reminds me of a nautilus shell.

• 6 dcr // Apr 13, 2008 at 3:43 am

Great shot. Is that an add-on lens, or did the E500 come with it? I have an older Olympus camera, and hope to upgrade at some point, so I’m trying to get a feel for what model to go with.

• 7 androo // Apr 15, 2008 at 9:18 pm

good stuff… detailed

• 8 My Bug Life // Apr 26, 2008 at 1:44 am

Amazing details in the shot….the mice had a snail feast..:)

• 9 sara // Aug 6, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I live in massachusetts and these snails are around my area,when it rains they come out. So i think there called yellow land snails

• 10 Sharon // May 18, 2010 at 12:20 am

I just found what looks to be the same snails this Saturday in Montreal, Quebec. I can’t find any name for them.
    I took them into school to show the kids…..I hope the mice don’t find them tonight. They were on some big leaves growing beside a building and crawling all over the sidewalk. It was raining so they were out, but the next morning they were all sleeping under the leaves.

• 11 Leslie // Jul 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Yumm snails! Too bad the mice got to it first.