Pictures of Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) on the coast in Northern Norway

May 20th, 2008 · 12 Comments

Here are a couple of pictures of Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) that I captured last weekend while collecting seagull eggs on some skerries on the coast in Northern Norway (a post about the egg collecting is coming in a few days so stay tuned).
Herring gulls live here in large numbers and the sounds of the gulls are to me very typical for summers in Northern Norway.

I love the curious expression of the herring gull in the first picture.
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera May 11th 2008. Click image for larger view.

In the next picture the gulls got a bit too nervous by me coming so close and are taking flight to escape the evil human 😉
Picture of herring gull (Larus argentatus) taking flight
Check out my other seagull pictures here. I love these birds!

Information about the pictures:
Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm F4.0-5.6
Location: West coast on Senja, Troms in Northern Norway

Tags: Birds · Coast · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Sea Ocean · Seagull · Senja · Shore · Sky · Snow · Spring

• 1 Joy // May 20, 2008 at 9:19 pm

The gulls that I ‘meet’ in Seattle and Vancouver seek humans. They think they’re in for some food treats.

• 2 Pentad // May 21, 2008 at 12:58 am

Oh, I love the in-flight image! That was a really cool shot.

• 3 2sweetnsaxy // May 21, 2008 at 1:38 am

Great photos! I like the expression on that sea gull too.

• 4 wildrose661 // May 21, 2008 at 10:10 am

Super, podobaja mi sie te zdjecia!
    I like it!

• 5 Tricia2008 // May 21, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Wonderful photos! I’m so envious. :o) Thank you for always letting me enjoy a little of the beauty you see every day!

• 6 Bobbie // May 22, 2008 at 3:10 am

Very nice, Thomas. You are right — the gull in the first photo has a great expression, but I love the take-off shot, too.

• 7 The Aries // May 23, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Nice picture.
    I like it 🙂

• 8 Polly // May 24, 2008 at 7:08 pm

What a lovely blog you have created with superb pictures. I have been on holiday to Norway just once and thought that the scenery was breathtaking especially high upon the glaciers. The people were extremely friendly and I’ve often thought I’d like to return. Your pictures bring back happy reminders. Thank you.

• 9 Vivienne // May 26, 2008 at 5:46 am

These are beautiful captures of nature. I love the spots on the gull’s wing in the second shot. Your photos are peaceful and exciting at the same time.

• 10 Thrift Shop Romantic // May 27, 2008 at 8:28 pm

There’s a certain nobility of his expression there in that first photo. Mostly seagulls usually look hungry, and not smart and introspective. 🙂

Just popped by to see how you were doing, Thomas. It had been a while, and as always, I can see you’re up to beautiful things.

• 11 djhassoo // Jul 2, 2008 at 8:59 am

i just got some photos of Norway few days ago and i justfell in love iwth Norway i also posted about Norway on my blog

Mr.Admin check im sure you also like my Norway post http://www.wahgwah.com

• 12 Pictures of eating-frenzy seagulls on the sea in Northern Norway // Sep 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

[…] and it becomes quite crowded around the boat as you can see in the pictures. There were mostly European Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) around the boat, but also some larger Great Black-backed gulls (Larus marinus). The seagulls come […]