October 1st, 2008 · 13 Comments

Picture of Golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius)
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera September 18th 2008. Click image for larger view.
Here I have photographed some delicious Golden chanterelles (Cantharellus cibarius). They are the most well known edible mushroom here in Norway and is probably the most exclusive mushroom too.
You can use Golden chanterelles in a lot of different dishes, but I prefer to eat them plain after some minutes on a hot plate with a pinch of salt and maybe some organic sour cream. It is absolutely yummy!

This year we have found a lot of edible mushrooms in the forest so stay tuned for more mushroom pictures. It is very nice to be able to gather edible food from the nature, but it is also a bit scary to gather mushrooms as there are so many toxic ones. I use a rule for gathering mushrooms: If I am not certain I wont eat them! I can also enjoy the meal much better if I know that the mushrooms that I’m eating is safe. If you want to look at a mushroom that is toxic, take a look on my photo of a fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) fungus.

Here is another picture of Golden chanterelle. They are a bit dirty, but fully eatable and I must say I enjoyed eating them. A lot! 🙂
Photo of Golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius)
Note: These photos were taken in the southeastern part of Norway.

Flash used
Location: Fjellstrand in Nesodden, Akershus in southeast of Norway

Tags: Autumn · Fungus · Macro · Mushroom · Nature · Norway

• 1 David "CrazyKinux" Perry // Oct 1, 2008 at 3:07 pm

How do you prepare and cook them? As any other mushroom or something different?

Great colours!

• 2 Carlos Lorenzo // Oct 1, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Wonderful mushroom images Jungl. Greetings.

• 3 The Right Blue // Oct 1, 2008 at 7:41 pm

What wonderful yellows! With a color like that, they must be easier to spot in the wild than ‘regular’ drab mushrooms. Well done, Thomas.

• 4 Digital Polaroids // Oct 10, 2008 at 6:14 am

Amazingly beautiful, I can’t believe it’s actually a mushroom

• 5 Gail Hart // Oct 10, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Hi, great blog and community ……. we would love you to join our wild nutter team 🙂 http://www.justaddwild.com – even to consider it would be fab! Do you showcase your work anywhere else? Hope to chat soon Gail

• 6 colz // Oct 13, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Yum!

• 7 Marisa // Nov 5, 2008 at 12:20 pm

It’s as if I’m reading National Geographic in here.
    Good stuff, Thomas, if only I knew how it would taste like.

• 8 Picture of Yellow foot, Winter Chanterelle, Funnel Chanterelle (Cantharellus tubaeformis) - Tasty mushroom // Nov 11, 2008 at 8:23 pm

[…] Pictures of Golden chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) – Our most delicious mushroom10.1 […]

• 9 christy // Nov 18, 2008 at 4:08 am

those are some of my most favorite food in the world, besides the amazing clodberry. Thank you for sharing your photos, look forward to seeing more! Wish I was there.

• 10 Länkar till helgläsning om foto | Bild och foto // Dec 30, 2008 at 10:18 am

[…] vyer för dÃ¥ kan du fotografera det andra missar. Thomas Laupstad har flyttat söderöver men fortsätter sin blogg här med kantareller. PÃ¥ Neatorama har man ett inlägg där man har samlat världens vackraste broar och jag funderar […]

• 11 Sandra R // Sep 9, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. 🙂 Cheers! Sandra. R.

• 12 Pictures of black trumpet (Craterellus cornucopioides) mushroom also known as trumpet of death, black chanterelle and horn of plenty // Oct 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm

[…] to look straight down instead of around you like you often do when looking for mushrooms such as Golden chanterelle. Once you have found the trumpet mushrooms you may want to take a look near the site where you […]

• 13 Lovely Fungus « Earthkeeping, Wordleaping. // Oct 21, 2010 at 6:21 am

[…] *often called the “golden chanterelle” *famously edible & delicious *recipes abound for this tasty morsel *beautifuuuuuul! *one of my favorites thus far : ) Photo credit:  http://blog.thomaslaupstad.com/2008/10/01/pictures-of-golden-chanterelle-cantharellus-cibarius-our-m… […]