Picture of Fireweed / Rosebay Willowherb flowers – sign of coming autumn

July 28th, 2007 · 8 Comments

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on July 28th, 2007. Click picture for larger view.

The fireweed, also known as Rosebay Willowherb in Britain, (Epilobium angustifolium) have started to flower so I had to take photos of them.
They are very nice to look at, but I have some mixed feelings about fireweed. The reason for this is that they start to flower late in the summer. Some weeks later they will produce millions upon millions of seeds (80,000 per plant!) that have white silky hairs and can be carried with the wind. It often looks like it’s snowing if there are lots of fireweed growing in the area. For me this is a clear sign of autumn and I would like the summer to last a bit longer 🙂

I looked up fireweed on Wikipedia and I had no idea that it could be used for food. Native Americans collects young shoots and mix them with other greens. They also use it for medicine.
Have anyone tasted fireweed? Would be cool to try it in a salad.

Tags: Fireweed · Flora · Flower · Mountain · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Plant · Sky

• 1 GO! Smell the flowers // Jul 28, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Great image, makes us sigh sat here in 45 degrees C Dubai in our air conditioned appartment. Wherever we are we’re determined to smell the flowers and this amazing picture helps! Thank you, you have a great talent.

• 2 steve // Jul 28, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Another fantastic photo. The blue sky looks wonderful….

I wonder what firewood actually tastes like? Not sure if I’m keen to try it or not.

–Steve

• 3 Blackysky // Jul 28, 2007 at 10:35 pm

wow . I wish I was that good in taking pictures

• 4 Mark // Jul 29, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Hi Thomas,

We have got a few flowers to go so we are ok for a while.I remember watching a fishing programme once and he mentioned that as soon as it finishes flowering Autum is not far off, strange the things you remember.

Cheers Mark

• 5 Debbie // Jul 29, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Your photos are always so fantastic. They really provoke emotion. I especially love the one of the mountains and the clouds. This one is great, too. I love this blog.

• 6 Thomas Laupstad // Jul 30, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Steve: I’m wondering too, but I think the plants are too old now. Wiki said they get a bitter taste when they are getting older.

Mark: Heh, that is really cool 🙂

Thanks for the comments Debbie, Smell flowers and Blacksky!

• 7 ozlady // Aug 2, 2007 at 10:47 am

I love the depth of field on this – and you have a wonderful collection of photos. Really lovely!

• 8 Autumn colors in northern Norway - photos of fireweed and dwarf cornel // Sep 15, 2007 at 1:51 pm

[…] the next photo you can see how fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium) look in the autumn. The white parts are silky hairs that contain seed […]