Macro photo of sawfly eating an insect

July 15th, 2007 · 19 Comments

Macro photo of sawfly eating an insect
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on June 24th, 2007. Click image for larger view.

This is some kind of sawfly (Symphyta) feeding on a fly. Please let me know if anyone know the species.

I captured this the same day as I took the photos of two dance fly mating and eating. Check out that blog post here. Macro photographing is so entertaining because you get to see real drama in the world of insects.

Feel free to check out my other insect photos.

Tags: Fly · Insect · Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Sawfly

• 1 Rose // Jul 15, 2007 at 12:58 am

Weird interests is right. lol Good shot though. Do you take requests? lol

• 2 Thomas Laupstad // Jul 15, 2007 at 1:04 am

Hehe, I can try!

• 3 Eleonora // Jul 15, 2007 at 11:42 am

Great shot, insect’s world is always interesting, I like this kind of photos.. Congratulation.. See ya.. ^^

• 4 trish // Jul 16, 2007 at 10:04 am

I have a horrible fear of anything bug related.. your pictures give me a new perspective. 🙂 I’m actually becoming a little more desensitized to the world of creepy crawlies. LOL All because of you. Thank you! 😀

• 5 Denise Nesbitt // Jul 16, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Fantastic Thomas, I just CAN NOT get the hang of this type of photography, my pictures just come out blurred! I am quite happy to leave it to the experts like yourself! Great stuff! If you fancy starting a Wednesday topic to photograph give me a shout!
    Denise

• 6 Thomas Laupstad // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Thanks Eleonora 🙂
    Macro photographing is one of my fave activities.

• 7 Thomas Laupstad // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:20 pm

trish: hehe good to hear!
    My fear of wasps are getting better after I shot this http://blog.thomaslaupstad.com/2007/06/19/macro-photo-of-a-common-wasp/

• 8 Thomas Laupstad // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Denise: Thanks 🙂
    What camera are you using? I have bought a lens that is designed for macro work. I can get very close to subjects and the lens is still able to focus spot on.

What is this Wednesday thing? Would like to know more 🙂

• 9 Denise Nesbitt // Jul 16, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Canon Powershot A85

Just choose a title and we all go away and think about a photo to post on a Wednesday! I will mention it on my blog too, once we know what is the subject. We can also mention it on BC!

• 10 Jeremy // Jul 16, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Cool, Cool, Cool shot! I love your macro work. Every time I come here I lose track of time. Thanks for posting your art.

• 11 Brown Baron // Jul 16, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Your images would make great wallpapers. Great shot as always!

• 12 Jolly Green Girl // Jul 17, 2007 at 12:37 am

Hey Thomas, I just read about those species and they are great for composting! You definitely want them around… however if you have worm compost, they might compete with the worms for the scraps.. they also poop out nutrients from your trash.. just found that out this weekend from my research on composting.. 🙂 kind of serendipidous

• 13 shaun // Jul 17, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Very cool pic. I love the insect life very interesting! Keep up the good work 🙂

• 14 Josh Lane // Aug 8, 2007 at 12:19 am

Thomas, I particularly enjoy how the sawfly’s green belly is camouflaged against the green leaf. Great perspective.

• 15 Macro picture of a blue eyed sawfly (Rhogogaster viridis) // Aug 15, 2007 at 2:40 pm

[…] viridis) clinging to a straw. I really like the blue eyes on this sawfly. If you look at my other sawfly photo you can see that sawfly having a different eye color. I believe they are different species. Need to […]

• 16 cloud // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:22 am

I think it is Tenthredo sp., maybe belongs to mesomela group.

• 17 Macro photo of a dance fly couple mating and eating a fly // Jun 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

[…] to her. She chooses the best prey and mates with the male while sucking the fly dry. Check out this picture of a sawfly eating an insect my other macro pictures here. Information about the picture: Camera: Olympus E-500 digital […]

• 18 uwe // Oct 12, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I am almost shure it is Tenthredo mesomela,
    not shure male or female.
    best regards from germany

• 19 uwe // Oct 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm

and I forget his prey is a syrphidae spec fly
    Uwe