My most popular picture on Flickr – Row of Norwegian boathouses on a winter day

August 25th, 2007 · 11 Comments

Row of Norwegian boathouses on a winter day
Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera February 15th 2007. Click image for larger view.

I really liked the rural look on this row of boathouses. The grass roof doesn’t hurt the scene with it’s old look. Boathouses like this represent the old fishing culture here in Norway in a good way. I hope people will take care of these beautiful buildings!

This is also my most popular photo on Flickr. It has received almost 11,000 views and been made favorite 70 times. It reached the fourth position in Flickr Explore on the day the picture was uploaded.
Flickr Explore is an algorithm that chooses the 500 most popular pictures (out of millions!) being uploaded to Flickr each day so it is quite an honor to reach the fourth position.

In this picture I have used something called HDR (High dynamic range) to make the picture look a bit different.

Check out my other boatshed pictures here.

Aperture: f/6,3
Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Location: Laupstad, Andørja (Ibestad) in northern Norway

Like the picture? Make a Paypal donation to support the site.

Tags: Boatsheds · Coast · Countryside · Norway Norwegen Norge · Rural · Scenery · Sea Ocean · Shore · Sky · Snow · Winter

• 1 DD2 // Aug 25, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Beautiful, and fascinating pictures. Great job

• 2 Heather // Aug 25, 2007 at 4:10 pm

You possess two wonderful gifts: the stunning beauty of your homeland and your amazing ability to share it with the rest of us through your photography.
    Thank you!
    Heather

• 3 Ely // Aug 25, 2007 at 6:46 pm

You take amazing photos. It shows me how lovely your country is. I wish i could make it to Norway someday…

• 4 Josh Lane // Aug 25, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Way to rock the boat house, Thomas. Love this shot.

• 5 Rosehaven Cottage // Aug 25, 2007 at 9:45 pm

This is really a gorgeous photograph! I can see why so many have chosen it as a favorite. For me the contrast of the red rustic textures of the buildings is so wonderful against the soft blue of the endless sky. It is lovely! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

• 6 Danny // Aug 25, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Ahhh..it’s a beautiful shot of the boathouses.

• 7 Crafty green Poet // Aug 26, 2007 at 1:58 pm

I’ve just discovered your blog and I’m enjoying browsing your beautiful photos!

• 8 RennyBA // Aug 26, 2007 at 9:18 pm

No wonder this is #1 – your a great photographer and this is very good captured!

• 9 CurlyToes // Aug 26, 2007 at 9:50 pm

I agree with the other comments that you have a talent for showing off your wonderful country. This is a really nice shot, although I’ve never been a fan of the glow that HDR leaves around edges of hard contrast, but I like what it does to detail, like in the panels on the wood. I would probably merge the HDR and more accurate masking in Photoshop to get the best of both worlds!

• 10 Thomas Laupstad // Aug 26, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Thanks everyone. The comments are highly appreciated 🙂

CurleyToes:
    I rarely, if ever, use HDR programs anymore. It was fun to experiment with Photomatix back then.
    Nowadays I also use layers in Photoshop if a higher dynamic range is needed.
    Wish I was better at taking several exposures, but I’m often too lazy to carry a tripod 😉

• 11 Kukuh // Aug 27, 2007 at 4:32 pm

wow…!! this is beautiful, the color and clear sky contrast to the boathouses wall color. Sharp photo shot. It’s just amaze me… 😉