Photos of cowberry / lingonberry plants – as flowers and berries

September 4th, 2007 · 13 Comments

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on August 27th, 2007. Click picture for larger view.

In this photo you can see ripe cowberries (Vaccinium vitis-idaea), also known as lingonberries (and foxberry, mountain cranberry, lowbush cranberry, and partridgeberry). I have been collecting several kilograms of these lovely berries the last few days. I use cowberries mainly as jam or compote accompanying meat dishes, especially game meats. They have a tart taste so they are perfect with meat.

In old times, when people didn’t have a freezer, cowberry was used as a natural preservative because of their high content of benzoic acid. It was mixed with other berries, like cloudberry, to make the berries edible throughout the winter.
Cowberry was (and is) an important source for vitamin C, A and some B vitamins.

Our family is pretty much self sufficient with cowberries, but I believe you can buy cowberries at IKEA in rest of the world?

Here is a close up picture of cowberry flowers.

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on June 14th, 2007. Click picture for larger view.

Information about the pictures:

Like these pictures? Please make a donation to support the site.

Tags: Berry · Cowberry · Flora · Flower · Lingonberry · Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Plant

• 1 Liz (rippin-kitten) // Sep 4, 2007 at 7:21 pm

I love how delicate and pretty the actual flowers are. As always, lovely photos.

• 2 Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage // Sep 5, 2007 at 7:53 am

Ooooo more red! I’m in a red mood lately so this photo just “works” for me! Cindy

• 3 petunia // Sep 5, 2007 at 1:38 pm

Takk for kommentar på bloggen min på bildet av Engevik havn. Ja, sildesessongen har startet og det var det Havn var brukt til for et par generasjoner siden. Silden kom inn dit og det var nok arbeidsplassen til de fleste rundt Havn og Sævareid.
    Du tar mange fine bilder! Oppdaget siden din via Rick og har vært og tittet noen ganger. Jeg skal bli flinkere til å legge igjen en kommentar når jeg har vært på besøk!

• 4 Veerasundar // Sep 6, 2007 at 4:53 am

Nice colors. The first one looks tooo dark. The mood of the second one is too good and good lighting.

• 5 Lisa McGlaun // Sep 6, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Do you make your own jam? That’s cool.

• 6 Shawn A. Hessinger // Sep 9, 2007 at 12:15 am

I’ve actually enjoyed the jiuce of these berries for years. You’re right. It’s available at IKEA in the U.S. But I have bever seen them before in nature.

• 7 Viv // Sep 10, 2007 at 6:57 pm

I would love to taste these berries, unfortunately IKEA Singapore doesn’t bring them in except meatballs.

• 8 RecycleCindy // Sep 11, 2007 at 12:29 am

Very pretty pictures! The berries look like I could reach out and pick one.

• 9 evlahos // Sep 12, 2007 at 8:52 am

wonderful shot great colors

• 10 morinn // Sep 14, 2007 at 4:27 pm

In Mauritius, in upper and cold regions grows a fruit that looks just like the red ones you’ve photographed. we call it “goyave de chine”. My grandpa used to make jams and compotes out of these fruits. This reminded me of nice souvenirs! ;)

• 11 Saami // Sep 24, 2007 at 1:52 am

Hei det ser ut til at det blir trollkrem snart:)

• 12 vans // May 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I would like to where can I get these plants. I am looking to buy them in NE but can;t find anywhere.

• 13 Eilish // Aug 21, 2010 at 11:29 am

I was wondering if these plants are hard to grow? I tasted lingonberry juice at IKEA and have gotten hooked on the stuff, it’s delicious! I got a big bottle of saft lingon a couple of days ago but it’s nearly done…. The climate in N. Ireland is quite cold too, so would this help? Any advice would be great (: