Picture of rural winter scenery in northern Norway – The sun has just come back

October 4th, 2007 · 10 Comments

Taken with Olympus E500 digital camera on February 15th 2007. Click image for larger view.

In this photo you see the house where I lived my first 12 years. It looks very idyllic in this winter scenery, doesn’t it? The place where the house stands is called “Solhaug”. In English it would be called something like “Sun Hill”.

The picture was taken on 15th of February so the sun had just come back here in northern Norway. The sun was still very low in the horizon so that is why it creates this beautiful and special light.

Check out this photo of the same house, but from another angle where you can see how close it is located to the ocean.

Lens: Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Location: Laupstad, Andørja (Ibestad) in northern Norway

Tags: Countryside · Mountain · Norway Norwegen Norge · Scenery · Sea Ocean · Sky · Snow · Winter

• 1 kml // Oct 4, 2007 at 1:58 pm

The light is just beautiful – it glows and creates such beautiful shadows. Great capture!!

• 2 pete // Oct 4, 2007 at 2:41 pm

As usual, great work. The long shadows really make this picture work.

• 3 Bobbie // Oct 4, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Looks like a wonderful place to grow up, Thomas. I much prefer this view of the house from the earlier one.

• 4 Mark Stoneman // Oct 4, 2007 at 6:18 pm

This view reveals strong similarities with New England. I did not grow up on the coast, and the coast is pretty much built up anyway, but I did grow up in wooden house in the country. And we had a great view of the local mountain from the bathroom upstairs. The trees included maples and birch, but there were a lot of pines too. I know Norwegians did not settle in New England, but I suppose the availability of wood for building has something to do with the similarity.

• 5 Nadia // Oct 4, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Eu gostei muito, sempre que vejo suas fotos fico imaginando como é a vida das pessoas aí, é muito diferente daqui… e muito bonito.
    bjos

• 6 CurlyToes // Oct 4, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Very idyllic!

• 7 Oscar Luiz // Oct 5, 2007 at 12:09 am

Great Job!
    It’s not a surprise!
    All your jobs that I saw are great.
    I go to put this photo in one of my blogs…
    Can I?
    Greetings from Brazil!

• 8 Hoto // Oct 5, 2007 at 2:01 pm

nice photo. i love the white planes. this year i have to go to ski again.

• 9 Connie // Oct 15, 2007 at 1:09 am

Hi Thomas,

In the flickr photo you linked to, which is your house?

• 10 Black and white picture of rural scenery in Northern Norway - The house I grew up in // Feb 12, 2008 at 9:59 pm

[…] house can be seen in this picture where you can see how close it is placed to the wild ocean and this photo (in colors) when the sun has just come back. Information about the picture: Camera: Olympus […]