Macro photo of ant dragging a spider

May 9th, 2007 · 9 Comments

Macro photo of ant dragging a spider
Taken 6th May, 2007. Click image for larger view.

As I have said before, macro photography is so much fun and a real challenge when you try to capture moving insects.
I believe the ant is some kind of wood ant (Formica rufa), but I have no idea what species the spider is.

I bet some of my readers have the knowledge. Feel free to write a comment with the information about species as I always love to learn new stuff about the nature.

Camera: Olympus E-500 digital single-lens reflex camera
Location: Laupstad, Andørja (Ibestad, Troms) in northern Norway

Tags: Ant · Insect · Macro · Nature · Norway Norwegen Norge · Spider

• 1 Peter // May 9, 2007 at 2:30 am

You are a craftsman. Such detail. Enjoyed the shot.

• 2 Lizz // May 9, 2007 at 3:00 am

Holy crap that’s creepy! I’m not a fan of bugs 🙂 That’s a good pic though! I love macro photography I have a lot of fun playing with it too.

• 3 bubble // May 9, 2007 at 6:59 am

Seem not to see too such an ant in Taiwan

• 4 Josef // May 9, 2007 at 8:05 am

Wow, sweet! You know how I love taking photos of spiders and other creepy things.. Good job.

• 5 Macro photo of Wolf spider on birch bark // Oct 8, 2007 at 12:48 pm

[…] don’t have many pictures of spiders, but I have one of an ant dragging a spider. Check it out if you are interested in insect […]

• 6 CurlyToes // Oct 8, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Nice shot. I’ve seen a wasp doing this once with a big spider. It was really struggling. The ant has come out really clear – it’s really very nice. From what I can see of the spider I would guess at one of the comb spiders, perhaps Enoplognatha ovata?

• 7 My favorite macro pictures from 2007 taken in Northern Norway part 2 // Feb 15, 2008 at 3:25 pm

[…] 1. Macro photo of ant dragging a spider […]

• 8 Nishan Stepak (Book Calendar) // Feb 15, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I rather like this photograph. I would think it would be the spider that usually catches the ant. It is rather interesting to see this.

• 9 may // Jul 30, 2009 at 4:55 pm

hahha thats so great.. which reminds me of japenese bug fights on you tube lol.